The Radiation Safety Section manages a full-service radiation safety program
The Radiation Safety Section’s services include:
- Establishing authorized radionuclide laboratories and posting radiation warnings signs, notices, and procedures.
- Receiving and inspecting all incoming radionuclide shipments.
- Calibrating and operational checks on all survey meters.
- Testing sealed sources for leaks.
- Inspecting all x-ray machines on campus.
- Collecting, processing, and disposing of radioactive waste and supervising cleanup of hazardous radioactive spills.
- Providing dosimeters and reviewing monthly reports.
- Conducting radiation surveys and laboratory inspections.
Radiation Project Authorizations
If you will be working with radionuclides at UIC, you should contact the Radiation Safety Section for the following:
- Appropriate forms, instructions, radionuclide data sheets, and the Radiation Safety Manual.
- Assistance with preparing and obtaining approvals for authorization documents and submitting applications to the Radiation Safety Office.
You can call 996-7429 during business hours or 6-SAFE after hours.
Radiation Safety Training
All personnel authorized to use radioactive materials at UIC must attend the initial three-hour radiation safety lecture followed by annual refresher training which is found on the EHSO website. A radiation safety manual is provided. Customized training is also required for specialized groups who use radioactive materials or equipment.
Annual Refresher Training
Radiation Safety- Human Subject Research Policy